I Have Mold In My House, What Do I Do?
Technically, every house has mold in it. But, mold spores only become an issue when the concentration of mold spores is greater than what is found outside. With enough mold, mold can wreak havoc on you and your loved ones’ health – especially if mold allergies or sensitivities are involved.
Do you have mold in your house? If so, this blog post should do the trick. Below, we’re going to answer some frequently asked questions about mold and the steps to actually get rid of the mold.
What Does Mold Look Like?
First things first, is it really mold? There are different types of molds, but they all usually look like furry growth or little specks. Most molds will be black, green, brown, white, or orange. If you really aren’t sure, test to see if the patch is mold with this nifty trick.
As Family Handyman suggests, dip a swab or q-tip into a diluted bleach solution (1 part bleach, 16 parts water) and dab it on the wall. Wait a few seconds. If the spot lightens or continues toc ome back after cleaning, you can assume that it is mold.
Do I Need to Test for Type of Mold?
Different types of molds can result in different health problems. There is no “good” mold, and they should all be removed. According to the CDC, you do not need to test or send a sample to a professional to determine what type of mold is present. All molds should be treated the same.
Do I Need a Professional to Clean Mold From My Home?
For the most part, you do not need to hire a professional – provided that your mold problem is recent and not too large. The smaller the mold problem, the more likely you can tackle the problem on your own. Just make sure you wear at least a PPE grade mask to protect yourself from inhaling mold spores, as well as have gloves on.
How to Remove Mold From My Home?
Fortunately, you can make some pretty effective mold remover with common household items. Try these options first when looking to remove mold from your home:
- Undiluted white or apple cider vinegar: Spray your solution on the mold, and let it stick for an hour. Then, wipe it off. There’s no reason to wash the surface afterwards, as that moisture will only promote more mold growth. The vinegar smell will disappear in only a few hours.
- Ammonia and water: Spray a 50/50 solution of ammonia and water, and wait two to three hours. Then, rinse the surface.
Diluted bleach: Mix one cup of bleach in a gallon of water. Apply this solution onto the surface, and don’t rinse.
- Important note: Do NOT mix ammonia with bleach or any other all purpose cleaner. This can create toxic fumes that can pose a serious threat to you and your family.